The new Sony A7S is the latest mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that features a newly developed 12.2 effective megapixel 35mm full-frame Exmor CMOS sensor combined with a powerful BIONZ X image processing engine, which enable the camera to provide an astonishing light sensitivity of up to ISO 409600 with an impressive low noise capability.
The extra high-speed processing capabilities of the BIONZ X image processing engine of this camera combined with the front-end LSI (large scale integration) accelerate processing in the earliest stages and reproduce natural details for more realistic images, richer tonal gradations and lower noise, whether you shoot still images or movies.
This camera is also equipped with Professional movie and still image functions—functions that are packed in a small 35 mm full-frame interchangeable-lens body, making it very portable. The small camera size will satisfy the stringiest demands of serious photographers and videographers for mobility.
The Sony A7S can record 4k video in full-frame without cropping or line skipping as it can read and process data from every pixels of the sensor. This allows 4K video shooters to utilize all of the artistic and creative benefits provided by this unique sensor.
It can also record full HD video internally at frame rates of 60p, 60i, 30p, and 24p at various choice of AVC codecs. Aside from the standard AVCHD format, this camera also supports the XAVC S format, which is commonly found only in Sony’s high-end Handycam professional camcorders.
Sony recommends using an SDXC memory card higher than class 10 when shooting movies in XAVC S format.
The Sony A7S also features S-Log2 gamma, a tone curve borrowed from Sony’s pro video recorder line that greatly expands the practical dynamic range of its videos. This special gamma function applies a strong logarithmic tone curve to the sensor’s output, rolling off the highlight end of the curve to preserve highlight detail.
The camera is also equipped with the same high-precision Fast Intelligent AF system as the older Sony A7R camera, with drastically improved low-light AF sensitivity that can go as low as -4EV.
- 35mm sensor w/ large pixels for high-ISO & Dynamic Range
- 12.2MP sensor optimized for 4k and low light video
- BIONZ X Image processor
- 3.0 inch 921.6k-Dot Tilting LCD monitor
- Fast Intelligent AF in light as low as EV -4
- Uncompressed 4:2:2 Full HD and 4K QFHD output via HDMI®
- 50Mbps XAVC S 1920×1080 at 60P, 1280×720 at 120P
- Pro-workflow w/ Picture Profile, S-Log2 and time code
- High contrast 2.4-million dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder™ EVF
- Audio level controls, AAC/Linear PCM, optional XLR kit
- Compatible w/ Sony E-mount lenses and many others
- Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi® or NFC